Sunday, May 24, 2009

Day 3 Genzano


After staying up with my roommates way too late talking the night before, I was glad to get to sleep in a little. We had class in the morning with MaryLou, our Italian vocab teacher, who is from England. I could listen to her speak for days…I love her loverly accent. Then Marco, her husband, came for our history class. We didn’t have much of a class because he was telling us pretty much his life story and what a life he’s had.

He grew up in Switzerland but his dad was determined for him to be born in Rome…and his was. He speaks 5 languages. His mom was Dutch, his dad Italian, friends were German…this was all as a child then as he grew up he lived in Paris and America. He worked for an airline company and became head of KLN by age 30. He then was moved to South Africa. He said out of 365 days he would travel 290! Now he is living in the house he grew up in in Ariccia. He talked of the days of playing in the palace with the princess and how he personally talked to Neil Armstrong! This was all in a thirty minute talk so I can’t wait to hear more stories. Unfortunately most of us were still jet lag and were struggling to stay awake.

Then we had a break for lunch and a little to time play on the internet. In the afternoon we met up with Chinzia and waited for a bus to Genzano, a neighboring town of Ariccia. We are definitely living on Italian time that is why I never promise to call. We were supposed to be leaving at 4:30…I think we eventually left around 6:00 or 6:30. (Mom you would definitely fit in here ) Genzano is just a short bus ride from Ariccia, Cinzia just wanted us to see what is was like to ride the bus and to know where to get off. Once we arrived at the square we were free for the evening. I took charge of one group and we were off. We stopped on a beautiful long street that led to a church to the top of the hill and some ppl had gelato. (I have yet to have some…I’m waiting for the right moment) Then we were off to explore the streets of Genzano! We took lots of pictures at the top of the hill and just walked in and out of the stores on the main road. Genzano is beautiful and a little cleaner than Ariccia. (not as much graffiti) After walking about an hour or so we worked up an appetite. We found this BEAUTIFUL little restaurant that was kind of tucked off the streets, but it didn't open until 8. I'm really liking the whole afternoon nap hours they have going on over here. We are definitely going back though. We settled for a little “Bar” which are the small cafĂ© sort of places. I got a slice of eggplant pizza, which was delicious and split a 2 euro bottle of white wine. We all sat outside and enjoyed the people walking by. Even though it was a three mile walk back, we all decided that we were up for it. Good thing we did. It was a great adventure! We found a pretty little garden with big yellow roses, which hopefully you’ll see soon, and saw the most beautiful sunset over the Med. Sea. The road on the way back was shaded by huge beautiful trees. They are very different here and very neat. I was happy to get back home and talk to mom and dad and Mke, but didn’t get to talk long. I said I was going to get some sleep b/c we had a busy day, but most of the group curled up on my bed and window seat and we talked till 2! Not smart, but I love these girls so much already. My bed, as usual, is the gathering place which I love. I do hope you all enjoy reading because I am enjoying sharing and remembering the events of the day. I’m having the most amazing time of my life. Thank you so much Mom and Dad!!!! Have a wonderful day and hope to talk soon!! Much love. Ciao Ciao ~Laura

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a nice place to visit. You take professional pics.

    ReplyDelete